Champion Bridge Drain™
A lightweight, corrosion-resistant and customizable drainage solution ideal for roadway bridges.
Champion Bridge Drain™ is a versatile, high-strength fiberglass bridge drain system that includes a complete line of fittings, non-metallic accessories and hangers. While primarily intended as a roadway bridge drainage system, Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ can also be used for highly corrosive drainage applications including theme parks, aquariums, pools and underground vaults.
Champion Bridge Drain™ Advantages
The Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain system features:
- Lightweight – Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ features a weight that’s up to 1/5 that of comparably sized steel conduit.
- Lower installation costs – In addition to lower material costs, Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ features lower installation costs.
- Excellent temperature range – Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ has an excellent wide temperature range (-60° to +250°), and handles well at low temperatures, allowing for year-round installation.
- Champion Bridge Drain™ is UV-stable.
- Easier field handling – Due to its light weight, ease of cutting and integral bell, Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ is easier to install.
- High-impact resistance/memory retention – Champion Fiberglass offers excellent memory retention, with the ability to return to original shape after impact.
- Customization including color matching and UV-resistant coating as well as a wide range of lengths, diameters and thicknesses.
Champion Bridge Drain™ Applications
Champion Bridge Drain is a versatile, high-strength fiberglass bridge drainage system that can be used in highly corrosive drainage applications including:
- Transportation, including roadway and highway bridges
- Theme parks
- Underground vaults
Champion Bridge Drain™ Case Studies
This case study shows how Champion Elbows’ light weight and cost effectiveness are contributing to data center success. See all case studies here.
Champion Bridge Drain™ Engineering
The Champion Bridge Drain™ is filament wound from corrosion-resistant epoxy resins which enables the bridge drain system to be used in corrosive applications where steel and PVC drainage systems would traditionally fail.
Filament winding is a fabrication technique mainly used for manufacturing open tubing or cylinders. This manufacturing process involves winding fiberglass filaments (rovings) under tension over a rotating steel mandrel. Once the epoxy resin has been cured in an oven, the steel mandrel is removed or extracted, leaving the finished 20-ft-long bridge drain section.
Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ is produced in a 100% digital facility that strives to meet environmental and system management requirements.
- Champion Fiberglass has been ISO 9001-certified for over a decade and was recently re-certified for the most recent version, ISO 9001:2015.
- The requirements of ISO 9001:2015 center on quality management systems.
- Champion Fiberglass’s environmental management systems have attained the ISO 14001:2015 certification, the world’s premier environmental management principles.
Champion Bridge Drain™ Installation
Just as with Champion Fiberglass Conduit, Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain™ can be installed much faster than traditional steel and PVC bridge drain systems. The lightweight fiberglass components weigh less than half of their steel counterparts and can be cut, drilled and fabricated in much less time than both PVC and steel bridge drain systems. The result is substantial labor savings.
Field Cutting and Sanding
To make fiberglass bridge drain field cuts, the tools required are a reciprocating saw with an abrasive blade (circular saw) or a grinder with a diamond cutting blade. Marking the fiberglass bridge drain for cutting will require a contrasting colored marker. Remove any cutting/drilling burrs or ridges with 60-grit emery cloth. Factory finished ends are supplied pre-sanded.
When field cuts are made, the bridge drain ends need to be sanded in order to make the adhesive connection. In these cases, it is recommended the ends be sanded with an abrasive flap wheel sander or a grinder with an abrasive sanding disc. Recommended grit is 60-grit emery.
Proper field cutting and sanding PPE to include:
- Long sleeve clothing
- Safety glasses
- Particulate respirator (N95 or equivalent)
Champion Bridge Drain™ FAQs
Champion Bridge Drain is a fiberglass bridge drain system that includes a complete line of fittings, non-metallic accessories and hangers. Champion Bridge Drain is a versatile, high-strength fiberglass bridge drainage system that can be used in many highly corrosive drainage applications.
The Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain system is commonly used on highway bridges. It’s extreme corrosion resistance makes it ideal for highly corrosive drainage applications including theme parks, aquariums, pools and underground vaults.
Champion Fiberglass Bridge Drain features a weight that’s up to 1/5 that of comparably sized steel conduit.