As the PVC shortage continues, more engineers and contractors are switching to fiberglass conduit as a PVC conduit substitute. Short lead times and competitive pricing are not the only reasons to switch to fiberglass conduit instead of PVC conduit.
PVC Shortage Causes Delays, Rising Prices
As a new year begins, PVC electrical conduit remains in short supply for construction projects. But there’s a solution to exploding prices and unwelcomed extended project deadlines. Savvy project managers are not letting the PVC shortage stall their projects or exceed budgets. They are considering PVC conduit alternatives for projects across a variety of industries.
Fiberglass is an Ideal Substitute for PVC Conduit
In many industries, project owners have found success with fiberglass conduit instead. Here’s why fiberglass conduit makes a great PVC electrical conduit alternative:
- Lower labor installation costs as illustrated in the NECA Manual of Labor Rates. Whether above ground or below ground installation, fiberglass conduit installs in less time than PVC conduit, due in part to its light weight and ease of portability. Comparatively speaking, one hundred feet of 4” SW RTRC conduit weighs 72 pounds while the same 100 feet of SCH 40 PVC weighs 231 pounds. In this example, PVC conduit weighs three times the weight of Champion Fiberglass conduit.
- Lower cable coefficient of friction enables longer cable pulls, saving money so fewer materials such as pull boxes are required.
- Greater impact resistance of fiberglass conduit offers durability and longevity which makes it a smart investment. Fiberglass conduit retains its shape.
- No elbow “burn-through” means fewer repairs when using fiberglass conduit.
- Fiberglass conduit offers a broader temperature range of -60°F to +250°F versus +40°F to +150°F for PVC SCH 40 and PVC SCH 80.
- Fiberglass conduit is the safer option. It does not release toxic halogens (i.e. chlorine and bromine) when burning, unlike conduit systems PVC SCH 40, PVC SCH 80, and PVC coated steel conduit.
- For cost comparison between Champion Fiberglass and other conduit types, please use our Conduit Calculator and Elbow Calculator
Technology & Innovation
Champion Fiberglass conduit is manufactured using the latest technology at its newly expanded ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 certified facility. In fact, our third line began production this spring allowing us to respond swiftly to customer requests.
We offer tools for project planning including a suite of calculators and BIM modeling, as well as responsive customer service to help you throughout the discovery, buying and installation process.
Champion Fiberglass conduit offers a strong, durable conduit solution that protects cable and electrical wiring better than pvc pipes in transportation, wastewater and data center applications.
For more details on how fiberglass conduit can help you achieve project success, reach out to your nearest Champion Fiberglass sales representative or call 281-655-8900.